Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Current Reading

OK, so I haven't published anything since late February! How did that happen and where did the time go?????
Let me just say I've been busy. To get back in the habit, I thought I'd answer a question someone put to me in a recent meeting with some of my team- What am I reading these days?

Other than the usual list of a dozen plus magazines and 75+ newsfeeds, I'm reading "Lean Six Signa for Service" by Michael George and "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge.

I'd read the Lean Six Sigma book a couple of years ago I guess and thought about it more in the context of applying it to a service business. At the time I was running Content Operations at Getty Images and wanted to get a better understanding of how to apply Lean and Six Sigma, traditionally used in manufacturing but infrequently in a service business. This time around, sparked by the comments and questions from a colleague at Celestica, I began to revisit the book with an eye to applying these same techniques to IT itself. The more I read, the more fascinated I am by the idea. I'll write more later but there's a lot here.

The other book, on brain plasticity, is simply fascinating and I recommend it highly as an easy read. And I promise to get back on track here.



No comments: