Monday, April 28, 2008

Synchronizing Life

At Celestica, it's Lotus Notes and Domino with my Blackberry (8830 Curve on VZW for me) for walking around. At home, I (mostly) use Mac Mail plus iCal for managing my life. To connect the two calendar systems I use Missing Sync by Mark Space. I've begun playing with Thunderbird 3 Alpha and like it quite a bit but there's no calendar support for Lightning/Sunbird/GCal/iCal.

The problem is that while the Blackberry/BES occasionally have their issues, iCal/MissingSync/Apple's Sync Services appear to be incredibly fragile and require way too much of my time to manage. Resetting sync history, backup/restore of iCal...it's nuts.

So my question is: how do you handle this? My personal life is busy enough that I need a calendar I can count on that connects to my Blackberry. The BB rarely leaves my side once I leave the house. It's mine, not the company's so I'm comfortable putting whatever I want on there. Ideally, I'd only upload to the BES that non-business time is blocke but that's asking too much.

I've also found that Plaxo can be a life saver. It seems to handle basic synchronization with aplomb while syncing to just about everything other then a BES.

What calendar or set of calendars do you use for your personal life and how do you synchronize both parts of your life??

No comments: