Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Seattle CIO Forum II

About half a dozen CIO's and IT leaders from the Puget Sound area met today at the Harbor Club in Seattle. This month's topic was the relationship between CIO's and CFO's. I'd asked my friends, Liz Huebner and Mike Anderson- two outstanding CFO's and all-around great people- to participate in a panel discussion.

I teed it up by asking both Liz and Mike to describe the things that are key drivers in the life of a CFO, especially a public company officer. Their reply was that the absolute responsibility for the company's "numbers" and the integrity of them, leads them to being deeply involved in knowing a great deal about the entire company and its processes. This can bring tension sometimes when the CIO is asked for the Why and How of the company's technology. The key? Don't get defensive, look at things from the other side of the question and help your CFO to understand the business metrics, drivers, risks and alternatives. It's not an attack, it's a need to know.

I had to reluctantly call a halt to the discussion as we were running out of time. Just a superb session and my hat's off to my CFO guests and thanks to the CIO's who participated. I learn something every time I'm with you all!

I'm going to try to spend more time relaying more of the conversation in future postings. I believe that one of the absolute keys to success for CIO's is developing and nurturing a strong relationship with the CFO and one that is so often mis-managed.

No comments: