Monday, January 14, 2008

EXTREME COMMUTING

OK, truth be told this post has nothing to do with being a CIO or even a member of technology community. It has nothing to do with which airline I fly on, or how lame I think most of what the TSA does to the flying public (see this article from the NY Times which said it perfectly). It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm in between owning an airplane, cranky about it and would rather fly myself even when that's not feasible....like Seattle to Toronto in a single day.

Sitting in seat 16C on Air Canada's flight 540 from Seattle to Toronto this morning, I thought I had it made. I generally like the AC flights as they have reasonably new aircraft, I get my own personal entertainment system in the seat back in front of me and the crews are friendly and polite. This particularly flight was probably no more than 2/3rds full and the seat next to me was empty. Yes! I thought as I moved from the treasured aisle seat to the window for takeoff. I like watching takeoff and landing- not as much as when I get to fly the plane but still it's the best part of the flight. The trouble began shortly after takeoff as the guy in front of me pushed his seat back as far as it would go. His girlfriend next to him did the same thing. Now, I've got the nifty entertainment screen about 6 inches from my face for the next 3 1/2 hours. Way to close for comfort not to mention being to cross my legs or move.


My complaint comes in two parts: first, what in the world are the airlines thinking, specifying a configuration like that on a fairly small airplane (Embraer 190) anyways? A seat that reclines such that the passenger behind has to scrunch down to see his book? or meal?? Is it just to make the entire commercial air travel experience worse than it already is? Secondly, what goes through the heads of people like the folks in front of me? She looked over her shoulder to see how close she was....perhaps because I had to push her seat forward just to uncross my legs. It's the same thinking that compels some to talk on their cellphones in public places about the most private things at volumes that are beyond being ignored. It's a kind of incredible selfishness I guess. "I can put the seat back as far as it goes because I am able to, your concerns for personal space be damned." Just one of those things that makes an otherwise boring commute of 5 hours and 3 time zones a little more stressful.




Technorati Tags:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick. Love the article. I'm thinking you should start a new blog documenting all your "adventures" in "Airline" commuting.

Personally, my favorite is when the person in front of me finishes his meal and decides to take a nap (and leans his seat wayyy back) completely unconcerned that I'm still eating my meal.

Patrick Flynn said...

Meal??? You get a meal????